Falls are a major contributor to fractures in older people, yet most are preventable. A comprehensive risk-identification approach can help GPs identify older people at risk of falls and fractures and facilitate multidisciplinary, targeted intervention.
- The numbers of falls and fractures in Australia are increasing with the ageing of the population.
- GPs play a key role in assessing and treating patients at risk of falls and fractures.
- A falls risk assessment should be multifactorial.
- Osteoporosis should be considered in any patient over the age of 50 years with a previous fracture or risk factors.
- Useful tools are available for rapid assessment of falls and fracture risk.
- Interventions to reduce falls and fractures should be targeted and individualised.
Picture credit: © SilviaJansen/iStockphotos.com Model used for illustrative purposes only